Summer Pre-dissertation Funding
GMS funds summer pre-dissertation research for selected students enrolled in the Designated Emphasis. Recipients of funding for Summer 2017 include:
- Guiseppe Forte, Architecture, "The Matter of Politics in City-making, from the Peripheries of São Paulo to the 'Centers' of Europe"
- Zachary Levenson, Sociology, "Articulating the Law: The Political Basis of Eviction Judgments in Post-Apartheid Cities"
- Manuel Santana Palacios, City & Regional Planning, "Are Public Transportation Reforms Benefiting the Poor? Exploring the Outcomes of BRT and Gondola Implementation in Colombia"
- J. Vicente Tinoco Ochoa, Landscape Architecture & Environmental Planning, "Evaluation of Sedimentation and Solid Waste Management in Water Infrastructure in Andean Countries of South America"
- Alex Werth, Geography, "Disturbing the Liberal Public: Law and Cultural Foreclosure in Oakland, CA"
- Jenny Zhang, Education, "Literacy in development discourse and practice: a view from Jakarta and Nusa Tenggara Timur, Indonesia"
GMS plans to offer pre-dissertation summer funding opportunities for Summer 2018. Announcements will be made on this page and will be circulated through our email lists.
GMS can also help cover the costs of attending conferences for students enrolled in the DE. Applications should be submitted as the need arises, and will be accepted on a rolling basis. To submit an application, send an email to the GMS Co-Directors. Awards are typically on the order of hundreds of dollars. Applications should include: the name, date, and location of the conference; a title and an abstract for the paper to be presented; and a budget. Students will be awarded no more than one grant per year.