Global Metropolitan Studies falls within the Division of Social Sciences. It is co‐directed by two faculty members chosen from among the faculty affiliates. The directorship rotates every three years. The co-directors report to an executive committee.
The executive committee, consisting of the two co-directors and representatives of the other participating departments, oversees the work of the faculty co-directors. The executive committee currently includes:
- Teresa Caldeira, Department of Urban and Regional Planning
- Ashok Gadgil, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- James Holston, Anthropology
- You-Tien Hsing, Geography
- Dan Kammen, Energy and Resources Group
- G. Mathias Kondolf, Landscape Architecture and Environmental Planning
- Alison Post, Political Science
- Joan Walker, Civil and Environmental Engineering
The deans of the colleges of which Global Metropolitan Studies founding departments are part–Environmental Design, Social Sciences, and Engineering–may participate as ex officio members of the Executive Committee.